The Housing Element is the main document that establishes the County's housing policies. It is intended to ensure that decent, safe, affordable shelter is provided for all residents in the unincorporated County.
Every city and county in California is required to have a Housing Element. State law defines the specific topics that must be covered. These include:
- An evaluation of existing housing policies and programs
- A needs assessment, based on data on demographics and housing conditions
- An analysis of any obstacles to affordable housing production in the community
- An inventory of all potential sites where housing may be constructed
- Goals, objectives, and policies, defining the community's position on various housing issues and setting measurable targets for meeting housing needs
- An action plan, identifying the specific steps the community will take to implement its housing policies