Department Services Update
Updated Thursday May 21, 2020
Due to COVID-19 and the shelter-in-place order, the Planning & Building Department has curtailed many of its services. Below, find alternatives to visiting the currently-closed service counter as well as information on residential construction activities, permit applications, inspections, public meetings and more.
On this page:
Regarding Residential Construction Activities
The shelter-in-place order has caused the shut-down of many construction sites. To understand how the Department interprets the order and determines exemptions, view the April 9th Services Update News Item attached to the bottom of this page.
Access Counter Services
The San Mateo County Planning & Building Department Counter is closed until further notice. Instead, please contact us at one of the email addresses below where your request will be processed as quickly as possible. Please contact:
- General Information – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Building – email@example.com
- Code Compliance – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Planning – PlanningProjects@smcgov.org
Access Other Planning & Building Services
From now until May 3, 2020, and possibly beyond, the Planning and Building Department will attempt to provide most of the services it typically provides, using a primarily remote workforce. No counter service will be provided, and applicants and permittees should expect significant processing and inspection delays. Access services as described below.
Building Permit Applications
During the current closure, we will be accepting applications for building permits via email only. Here are the steps to follow:
- Fill out an application form.
- Print, sign, scan and send to email@example.com. If you don’t have access to a printer, it is o.k. to send the form filled out and saved to a PDF.
- One of our Building Technicians will contact you regarding submittal of plans and fees
Planning Permit Applications
We will also be will be accepting applications for planning permits via email only. Here are the steps to follow:
- Fill out an application form.
- Print, sign, scan and send to PlanningProjects@smcgov.org. If you don’t have access to printer, it is o.k. to send the form filled out and saved to a PDF.
- One of our Planners will contact you regarding submittal of plans and fees
- If you have already submitted a planning permit application and have been assigned a project planner, you may contact that planner directly via email for more information or a status update. Planners email addresses can be found on our Department contact page.
More About Permits
To learn more about the issuance of permits and how permit applications currently being prioritized, view the April 9th Services Update News Item attached to the bottom of this page.
Inspections are scheduled by calling the Automated Inspection Line at 650-306-8415. On the day of the inspection, the 2-hour inspection window will be posted on the Automated Inspection Line by 8:00 AM, so please call 650-306-8415, follow the prompts to enter your permit number, and press option number 5 to get your inspection time. Then call the Building Department’s main line at 650-599-7311 before 10:00 AM and leave a message with your address first, the permit number next, and the contact name and number of the person that will be onsite for the inspection, as the building inspector will contact this person to perform the inspection remotely.
The Department is currently using a remote video inspection system to conduct inspections. To learn more and schedule a remote video inspection, view the April 9th Services Update News Item attached to the bottom of this page.
We will continue to investigate zoning, building code and other land use regulation violations, with some limitations as necessary to prevent in-person interactions. Priority will be placed on investigating potential violations that impact public health and safety. Please submit complaints via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
View Public Meetings Remotely
Remote access is established for all public meetings hosted by the Department. For further information on how to access a public meeting, go to the meeting page for the meeting date. Instructions for participation will be posted 7 days prior to the meeting date.