Second Unit Amnesty Eligibility
Do I Qualify For the Program?
To be eligible to participate in the program, unpermitted units must be:
- Built prior to January 2017
- Currently or previously occupied by a resident. Methods of proving occupancy include:
- Utility bills or other bills and/or records, with appropriate residential address, in the name of a tenant or resident other than the primary homeowner(s).
- Written lease agreements with current or former occupants.
- Affidavits: Current residents of the unpermitted unit may provide an affidavit attesting to residence; non-occupant owners of the unpermitted unit must provide their own affidavit, and a supplemental affidavit confirming prior use (from a neighbor, a former resident, etc.)
- Other evidence determined to be sufficient, at the discretion of the Community Development Director.
- On a residentially zoned parcel (in zoning districts R-1, R-2, R-3, NMU, or PC. Find your zoning district using the Planning GIS Database).
- Outside of the County's Coastal Zone. Units in the Coastside are not eligible. See if your unit is in the County's Coastal Zone using the Planning GIS Database.